Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Oops, wrong book

So I'm one of the unfortunate few who have been reading the wrong "Good Book," but it's okay because I've really enjoyed what I've read. I think I'll try to finish it sometime... when I'm not in three Lit classes.

Here's a quote from Gomes' introduction,
"...people want to know why, in such a world, you would continue to hold allegiance to something so out of harmony with it. Conviction on the part of the Christian, and curiosity on the part of others, are essential ingredients in the apologetic for the faith. One offers one's own life as the immediate and ultimate "explanation," remembering that Christian truth is advanced not by postulates and formulas, the bone-crushing logic of arguments point and counterpoint, but in the living flesh of human beings."

I don't understand everything about the Bible or about God, but would I really want to follow something that I could completely understand? I want to give my life to something that is bigger and better than me, not something that always makes complete sense. In this technologically advanced world where we can find out movie times on our phones or google the weather forecast instantly, we want explanations for everything, and we fool ourselves into thinking we have them. But then something big happens like 9/11 or the death of a family member, and we wonder if we really have as much control as we think we do.

That said, I would like to argue that when you give it a chance, most of the bizarre Bible stories we're reading make so much historic and scientific sense. I was hiking up along the ridge in the Bridgers this weekend and found some sea shells lying on the top of the mountain. How could they have gotten there? It makes sense to me that if at one time water covered the whole earth, shells would have been left on the top of mountains when the water receded.

I was reading Joshua 6 today... The Battle of Jericho. God must have a sense of humor, judging by his bizarre commandments here. He tells the Israelites to march around the city for six days. On the seventh day they are to blow the trumpets and shout as loud as the can, and the walls will fall down. And they do! What a great story of God being powerful and fighting our battles for us. In the Old Testament, the Israelites are God's chosen people, and he is with them, as he shows in this story.

Just some thoughts:)

No comments:

Post a Comment