Monday, November 8, 2010

Finishing the Bible before Christmas? Probably not

I pretty much failed at any attempt to read the entire Bible this semester, but mostly because I was already on a journey to read the Bible under a different time frame. I can't imagine reading the whole thing in such a short amount of time. It seems like I read half a chapter of the Old Testament, and it takes me a few days to process it. There is so much depth in the "J" stories and even in the "P" writing that confuses me and baffles me and amazes me. So... even though I may have failed in regards to the assignment from this class, my endeavors will not end with the end of the semester. I'm excited to get the the minor prophets books that I have never read before and soon enough to try to make some sense out of Revelation.

I am in agreement with this quote from David Plotz, considering the incredible impact the Bible has had on our society, literature, and history.

"Not to sound like a theocratic crank, but I'm actually shocked that students aren't compelled to read huge chunks of the Bible in high school and college, the way they must read Shakespeare or the Constitution or Mark Twain."

No comments:

Post a Comment