Thursday, December 9, 2010

What I know now that I didn't know before

I guess I probably learned different things than a lot of people since I came into the class with a different perspective.
1. I learned to love the Bible more. Through challenging topics that we discussed, my love for the Bible's depth grew. I had to seek understanding on things that upon first reading made no sense. Dr. Sexson and my classmates helped me to see the beauty, the poetry, the intensity of the Bible in new ways.
2. Another thing that really sticks out is my research on the canon of scripture. I asked the question of where this book by which I live my life originated. How were all these texts pieced together to make up what we now call the Bible? It turned out to be a very intriguing story.
3. In researching Passover for my final paper, I looked at the stories in the Bible more historically. The story of God's Chosen People that continues today. The story is not yet resolved. If the Bible is a comedy, we are still awaiting the resolution.
4. The Furnace: Through reading Frye, Job, and other stories, I learned what it means to go through the furnace and come out as something new and different.
5. Lacuna: I just like the word. Sometimes the gaps in the Bible are so huge. What were those writers thinking?
6. I loved The Slave and I will definitely pass it on. I loved listening to everyone's different interpretations of it during the presentations.
7. Just like Jacob's love for the things of God grew and never died, so is my love for the Lord growing. I'm learning more about the God of the Bible who is both forgiving and just, loving and wrathful, confusing and very big. For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? (1 Corinthians 2:18)

Lately I've been intrigued with Moses, and his journey with God. His prayer before he goes up to Mount Sinai is my conclusion: If thy presence go not with me, carry us not up hence.

No comments:

Post a Comment